Research Programming Services
Research Programming Services contributes to the Center's ability to address important population research issues by providing CPC researchers with support for original data collection, complex dataset and variable creation, and statistical analysis. This unit works with investigators and research teams on requirements to address research questions and to ensure appropriate resources are available for analysis of the data. Resources include skilled programmers, appropriate software, and high-performance computing platforms. Activities are broadly defined to include facilitating original questionnaire or interview data collection activities, obtaining and analyzing secondary data, managing biological specimens and associated assay results, and managing all of these data so that they can be analyzed from descriptive statistics to complex modeling over data source and over longitudinal rounds. This unit makes available, manages, and supervises professional staff who are funded by the projects. Staff serve as liaisons to the UNC Information Technology Services (ITS) to evaluate services needed by CPC researchers, to influence the direction of available high-performance computing services, and to ensure required computing capabilities are available, either through central resources or, as needed, in-house.
This unit also provides CPC investigators who are collecting biomarkers with centralized oversight of the biospecimen repository, assistance with tracking systems, and assistance with external laboratories.
Specific services include:
- data collection including data structure, design, and tracking systems
- data editing, coding, and entry
- creation of data entry systems in CSPro, Blaise, ODK, QDS,and other languages upon request
- data cleaning and management
- data dissemination, documentation, and support
- management of biological data
- sensitive data and deductive disclosure review
- data integration with other types of data, e.g., spatial, biological assays
- data analysis
- software support for SAS, Stata, MPlus, and R
- custom software design
- domestic and overseas training for data collection efforts