You are here: Home / FAQ / About Contract / Questions about the Contract

Questions about the Contract







Where can I find the contract?

To apply for restricted-use data, please download and complete the Restricted Use Data contract using the CPC Data Portal.


I don’t wish to renew my contract.  What do I need to do to terminate it?

To terminate your contract, please do the following:

  1. Destroy all data files at the originally approved site. Add Health shall be able to visit within a year of contract termination, to confirm the data have been destroyed.
  2. Submit a letter stating that all Add Health Data Files have been securely erased with the secure erasure program listed in the security plan for the originally approved site.
  3. Return all CDs containing Data Files, with thirty (30) days of the expiration of the Contract Period.
  4. A final annual report, or a statement that you have no publications, presentations, dissertations, or grants to report since receipt of the last annual report.

Return CDs and letter to Add Health by UPS or FedEx with tracking number to:

Add Health Contracts
Carolina Population Center
UNC-Chapel Hill
Carolina Square, Suite 210
123 West Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516

Will you list my publications and presentations on Add Health’s website?

Absolutely. Any results produced from analysis using the Public-Use data or the Restricted-Use data are eligible for posting. Please  the complete reference for your publication or presentation. For publications, please include the email address of the first author.



How do I add researchers to my contract?

The following two forms are required to add researchers to your contract. Scan the completed forms and send by .

Attachment C, Supplemental Agreement with Research Staff, should be signed by the investigator and researchers to be added.

Attachment D, Security Pledge, should be signed by the researchers.


What is the procedure for adding systems staff who will have access to the data but will not use the data for analysis?

Staff members should sign Security Pledges (Attachment D). Forms can be  as PDF attachments.



Can I save my temporary data analysis files after I terminate the contract and return the data CDs?

No. You can create a constructed variable file that contains only the variables that you’ve created with no original data components. This variable file does not have to be deleted every six months. This file should be sent to Add Health upon contract termination and we will securely store the CD for 3 years, or until a new contract is established.


How can we consolidate the data storage and security administration for two Add Health contracts at the same institution?

  1. One researcher (R1) decides to be responsible for the data.
  2. The non-responsible researcher (R2) will return his/her copy of the data, submit a final annual report, and terminate the contract.
  3. R2 and data users listed in the terminated contract will be added to R1's contract as supplemental researchers.
  4. R1 (or a systems admin) trains the new users about data access and security for the new contract. All users from R2's contract must be able to have access to the one copy of the data from R1's contract.

If there are many users located in different buildings, it’s helpful if the institution’s computing is centralized so that all accounts are on one server.



What’s the difference between the standard data contract and the Romantic Pairs contract?

The Romantic Pairs data are available through a separate contract, which is available upon request. The main differences between the standard contract and the Romantic Pairs contract are the renewal schedule, security plan requirements, and access to the data:

  1. The Romantic Pairs contract must be renewed every year, while the standard contract is on a three-year renewal cycle. Renewal of the Romantic Pairs contract requires an annual report, an updated Data Security plan, a Request for Extension, and Institutional Signatures. 
  2. There are several security plan options for housing the standard contract data, but the Romantic Pairs data must be housed on a separate, stand-alone computer.
  3. Only one person may access the Romantic Pairs data, while the standard contract allows more flexibility. If there are other researchers interested in working with the Romantic Pairs data, they must apply for separate contracts.


Can we put the Romantic Pairs data on the computer that researchers currently use to analyze the Restricted-Use data?

No. Only one user can work with these data; it is not possible to store the Romantic Pairs data on a computer that is accessible to multiple users. The Romantic Pairs data are the most sensitive and restrictive data that we disseminate. Initially, users were required to use these data in the Secure Data Facility (cold room) at the Carolina Population Center, but in order to allow researchers easier access, we developed a modified plan that would approximate the security of the cold room at the researcher's institution. To maintain the security of the files, it is important that the requirements are strictly followed.   


I am currently working with the Restricted-Use data and would like to get the 1,507 Romantic Pairs sample in Wave III. Are they included in the data that we already have?

The Wave III Romantic Pairs data are not part of the Restricted-Use data. These data are the most sensitive data that we disseminate and are only available through a separate, single user contract that requires additional security (stand-alone computer in a locked office, used only by one researcher). Your current PI (or another PhD researcher) would need to enter into a separate contract in order to get the Romantic Pairs data.